Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Guardian Angel (A Singapore Love Story)

Everything happens in your life for a reason. You might not realize it now, but eventually the truth will be reveal to you at the right moment. It is something they call Karma, Fate or Destiny. What you did in the past will lead to other events which are going to happen to you in the future. It is like wandering at the crossroad, the path which you choose will lead you to a destination. The choices you made in your life will decide you fate in the future. The only regret is that you can never travel back in time and you can never change the things you did. It is a one way path once you cross the point of no return.



Fiona woke up and found herself lying on the hospital bed. She should have been dead, but she was given a second chance in life. This chance doesn’t come easy; it was a sacrifice by someone she loves with all her heart.



She met him about three months ago, on Christmas Eve on a rainy night like this. She was stuck in the rain outside Orchard Paragon after her work, while the Christmas Carol sounds cheerfully in the background of the Shopping Mall. It always rain at these times of the year, she should have listen to her mother advice to bring an umbrella when she head for work from home this morning. She is going to be late for her class, but the rain doesn’t seem to understand her difficulty. Life is hard in a country like Singapore, the cost of living is high and the competition is fierce. You will not be able to survive if you do not upgrade yourself, you will not be able to last even a few months if you loose your job.



“Do you need a lift?”



Fiona wake up from her thought and saw a tall and handsome guy smiling and standing right in front of her.



“I am sorry; I was lost in my thought just now.” Fiona reply.



“I am heading to the MRT station; I can give you a lift if you want.” The guy said pointing to his umbrella.



How nice of him to lend a helping hand, Fiona thought. Most people are so busy with their own life that they seldom bother with other people problems anymore.



“I just need to get to the bus stop in front of the Heeren Shop.” Fiona reply.



“Sure, it is along the way.” The guy said as he open up his umbrella.



It was just a short walk from Orchard Paragon to the Heeren Shop, but it seem like eternity to her. They were so close to each other that Fiona was afraid that the guy might hear her increasing heartbeat. She uses to have heart problem since she was very young, now she doesn’t know whether this increase in her heart beat was cause by her physical or emotional aspect of her body. The guy left her at the bus stop and head straight for the MRT station. She realizes that she had forgotten to ask his name. He might just be another stranger that passes by her life for a brief moment.



It was a beautiful Sunday morning, Fiona decide to try rollerblading with her friends at the East Coast Park. With all the work pressure people suffer these days, it is hard to really enjoy a peaceful weekend without even worrying about work. Just as she was trying her best to balance herself on the pair of rollerblade she just rented, a bike screech stop just right in front of her.



“I am sorry, I was trying to avoid a cat which runs out of nowhere and I didn’t saw you. Are you Ok?” A familiar voice sound just as Fiona was recovering from her fright.



She looks up and saw that guy which had offer to give her lift to the bus stop few days ago.



“Hey, it is you. Remember me?” Fiona said.



“Oh, you are the girl who was stuck in the rain a few days ago. Hi, I am Matthew. Please to meet you again” The guy said.



“I am Fiona. I haven’t got chance to thank you for the help you offer last time, let me buy you a drink to show my thanks.” She replies.



“No, no. I should have bought you a drink to apologize for the fright which I had caused you.” Matthew said.



That whole afternoon, they just sat at the Macdonald drinking their ice tea and talking about their life. They exchange their phone number and promise to keep in contact.



It was a Saturday evening, Fiona and Matthew decided to go out for a date. They met up at City Link Mall and take a slow walk to Suntec City Mall. They have their dinner there and decided to catch a movie after that. After the movie, they went over to the water front at the newly build Esplanade to spend the remaining of their evening.



“Fiona, wake up.” Matthew said.



Fiona woke up and realize that the bus had reach Tampines Bus Interchange near her place. She had fallen asleep during the bus trip back and she saw Matthew shoulder was drench wet with her saliva.



“I was so sorry.” She apologizes to Matthew as her face blushes with embarrassment.



“It’s Ok. It’s natural for girls to drool over me.” Matthew smile and joke about it.



Matthew gives her a kiss and asks her to be his lover.



“I don’t know, Matthew. I had heart problem since I was very young. I don’t know how long I can live. I don’t know how long I can love you.” Fiona said.



“It doesn’t matter whether our love last for a moment or a life time. What matter most is that we will always have each other as long as we live. My heart will beat for both of us.” Matthew reply.



“Let me think about it.” Fiona said.



He walks her home as it was already very late at night.



“Ah Girl, why come back so late? Who is the guy who sends you home just now?” Fiona mother asked.



“Nobody.” Fiona replied as she quickly went to her room to prevent her mother from nagging at her even more.



It was Valentine Day, Fiona decide to cook a nice dinner at her place. It would also be a good chance for Matthew to finally meet her parents too. So they meet up after work at the same place when they first met and head for the super market nearby to buy some stuff.



“Oh, how silly of me. I forgot to get some butter.” Fiona said.



“You wait here while I go back and get some.” Fiona said as she turns around and head back to the super market.



“Fiona, watch out!” Matthew shouted



Fiona turns and saw a car heading toward her at high speed. Matthew rushes in and pushes Fiona away from the incoming traffic. Fiona saw Matthew body been throw out a few meter by the impact of the car while she slowly fall to the ground and fainted.



“Matthew is gone.” A Doctor told her as she woke up from the hospital bed.



“His last wish was to give you his heart. We had managed to perform the heart transplant operation while you were still unconscious. He left you this letter before he die.” The Doctor continues.



Fiona stretch out her trembling hand and reach for the letter, open it up and read.



“Dear Fiona,



I am sorry that I had to leave you alone in this world; I guess my time is up and I had to go to a far away place. Don’t blame yourself for it is not your fault. You would have done the same for me if you were in my shoe. Life is never fair, you win some, and you lose some. I want you to carry on living your life happily without me. My heart will always be with you while my soul will always watch over you.



Love Matthew.”



Tear fall from her eyes as she finish reading the letter. The sky is crying with her as if it knows her pain. If they had never met, she would not feel the sadness she felt today. But she will also never felt the happiness she felt for the pass three months. Now Matthew only exists in her memory. He will be her guardian angel for the rest of her life.



Love start with a smile, grow with a kiss and end with a tear.

No comments: